Style: Extra Special Bitter
Malts: light malt extract, Crystal
Hops: Gallena, Challenger
Yeast: London ESB
Other: Irish moss
Impressive. Most impressive.
Questions? Ask the Brewer: Jon
Octobertheseventhfest comments: Missing!
This recipe is the English Extra Special Bitter (ESB) recipe from Stomp Them Grapes / Hop to It Homebrew store in Boulder, CO.
6.6 lbs light malt extract syrup
1 lb light Crystal grain malt
1 oz. Galena hops (bittering)
3 oz. Challenger hops (aroma)
1 tsp Irish moss
Wyeast 1968 London ESB
1. Heat 1.5 gallons water to 160 degF.
2. Crush the grains, add to sock, add to water.
3. Steep for 30 min at 155 degF.
4. Add 1 gallon water and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling, add 6.6 lbs light malt extract syrup and 1 oz Galena hops.
6. Boil 30 minutes then add 1 oz Challenger hops.
7. Boil 20 minutes then add 1 oz Challenger hops.
8. Boil 5 minutes then add 1oz Challenger hops and 1 tsp Irish moss.
9. Boil 5 minutes then remove from heat and cool in ice bath to 80 degF.
10. Transfer to primary fermenter and add water to bring total volume up to 5 gallons.
11. Add yeast.
12. Ferment 62-72 degF for 7 days.
13. Transfer to secondary fermenter for 14 days.
14. Bottle with ¾ cup corn sugar.
15. Bottle for at least 2 weeks.